I haven’t updated in forever but I find raising my toddler to be more worthy of my time than blogging about her. Things have been pretty crazy the last few months so I’ll update in point form and just add some pix:
- Lyric started walking at 11 months old
- We moved into our friend’s downstairs to share the house with her. That ended BADLY and I haven’t seen her since (not feuding, just some hurt feelings and such)
- I watched Charlie a couple times a week for a couple of months which made Lyric ridiculously happy since she thinks Charlie is the bees knees. We did lots of crafts and went to Strong Start (pre-preschool) every day
- Lyric turned 1 in May and we had a big Tinkerbell/Neverland Party for her. She had a blast (or at least the grown-ups did!)
- I started working 1-2 days a week at London Drugs as a cashier. It’s a pretty good job so far. I have my first shift in cosmetics this Saturday which is pretty exciting since I think i’d like to become a cosmetician eventually.
- We moved to CEDAR! I never thought I would love living in the country so much but I do. I have been reading all about urban farming and homesteading. It is too late to start a garden this year but we are doing all of our research now. We live in the downstairs of a house on 1/2 an acre (the owner is a cool young guy who lives upstairs with his girlfriend) with a big playhouse in the backyard which we are going to turn into a chicken coop!
- We picked a ridiculous amount of blackberries from our yard and around the neighbourhood. I made a couple batches of jam, a bunch of crisps and pies (the pies were all James though) and now we’re going to try our hand at making blackberry jam!
- I also made a batch of apple butter from the apples in the backyard. I think I probably should have added a bit more sugar but oh well!
- I have been cooking up a storm. I love trying new recipes and generally just Google whatever ingredients I have and find something!
- Lyric broke her leg shortly after we moved to our new place. She was on the swing with Hayden and James pushed them too hard and they fell off. She had her cast on for 3 weeks and then spent another 3-4 weeks learning how to walk properly after that. Now she is back to normal and is running around like a madwoman. She loves the rough and tumble life in our yard and is constantly covered in dirty and berries.
- Liam and Hayden started school this week (after a pretty rad summer). Liam is in his final year of high school and Hayden is in his first. I can’t believe how grown up my boys are!!! Weren’t they little boys just yesterday?
Finally, the thing I didn’t want to write about but have to. When we moved into our new place, Spike was determined to go outside. We had talked about letting him outside if we ever moved to the country so now seemed as good a time as any. He was an outdoor cat for about 6 weeks and I have never seen him happier. He became best friends with the cat upstairs (a 9 month old farm cat named Purr) and they would play all hours together and hunt. We came home from a day trip to Denman Island on August 13 to the news from our landlord that Spike had been hit by a car and killed while we were out. I think part of me broke when James told me. I screamed and screamed and couldn’t even hold Lyric (who was pretty freaked out). I sobbed in our backyard for about an hour. I had a couple of weeks that I felt quite catatonic from it. I still can’t even think about him without crying. It just seems so surreal that he is gone forever. He was my baby before Lyric. I got him as a kitten and he was one of the most important beings to ever come into my life. He helped me through the months and months and months of trying and failing to get pregnant. I don’t know how I would have gotten through it without him.